The Hummus Recipes Kitchen (The home of Hummus Recipes & Delicious Middle Eastern Recipes) invites you to try“Maklooba”: Upside-Down Mediterranean Chicken, Veggies, Pinenuts and Rice Recipe. Enjoy the Middle Eastern Cuisine and learn how to make “Maklooba”: Upside-Down Mediterranean Chicken, Veggies, Pinenuts and Rice.
1 large eggplant, sliced
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large potato, sliced
1 lb chicken (you can use any parts of the chicken, beef or lamb)
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chicken bouillon cube (I use Maggi brand)
vegetable oil for frying
parsley or pine nuts for garnish (optional)
1. Soak the basmati rice in water for ~30 minutes. (I usually soak it while I am fying the veggies).
2. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan.
3. Add the eggplant (~2 1/2 cups), 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry the eggplant.
4. Remove and place onto a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
5. Add the cauliflower florets, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry the florets.
6. Add the potato 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to the frying pan and fry potato.
7. Place remaining veggies onto a paper towel to drain excess oil.
8. In a large saucepan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onion. Cook until onion gets yellowishh in color.
9. Add the 1 lb of chicken. ( I use chicken breasts only since we love white meat and it’s healthier but you can use any part of the chicken or even a whole chicken). Add 2 teaspoons cinnammon, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 chicken bouillon cube and 2 cups of water.
10. Boil the chicken for about 25-30 minutes on medium-low heat. This will allow the water to have a very tasty chicken flavor. The water should reduced somewhat.
11. Add the fried vegetables directly on top.
12. Drain the rice and add it on top of the fried vegetables and add about 2 more cups of water to ensure rice is covered in water.
13. Cover and let cook for ~40-50 minutes until all of the water is used up.
14. Turn off the stove and wait at least 20 minutes before serving this will help to ensure your rice is fluffy. It will also help to maintain the compsure of the dish when you flip it.
15. Keep in pot until you are ready to serve. When you are ready, remove cover and place serving dish on top of pot.
16. Quickly flip over and make sure you do not lose any of the ingredients. ( Flip quickly and remove pot slowly.)
17.Serve with yogurt and Jerusalem Salad.
18. Remove the pot. You can garnish with parsley or pine nuts.
More Middle Eastern Food Recipes:
Stuffed Baby Zucchini and Vine Leaves with Lamb Chops
Cabbage Rolls with Lamb
Stuffed Baby Zucchini and Eggplant with Beef Shanks
Stuffed Tomato with Frike
Middle Eastern stuffed roast chicken
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Save and share “Maklooba”: Upside-Down Mediterranean Chicken, Veggies, Pinenuts and Rice recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.