Learn how to make easy stuffed cabbage rolls (Malfouf Mehshi,l ملفوف محشي). A cabbage roll (also stuffed cabbage) is a dish consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a variety of fillings. The filling is traditionally based around meat, often beef, lamb, rice and is seasoned with garlic, onion and spices. Cabbage leaves are stuffed with the filling which are then baked, simmered or steamed in a covered pot and generally eaten warm. You are invited to try a delicious recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls.
1 1/2 kg (48 oz) cabbage
1 cup short grain rice
400 g (14 oz) minced meat
1/4 cup lemon juice (as desired)
1/4 cup shortening or butter
1/4 cup Seville orange juice
1 tspn salt
a dash of ground paprika
a dash of ground cinnamon
a dash of ground cumin
3 cups water
1 medium head crushed garlic
1/2 tspn dried mint (as desired)
1 tbls pomegranate thickened juice
- Peel off cabbage leaves. Blanch some leaves in boiling water for few minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and put in cold water then put in a colander. Repeat same procedure with remaining leaves.
- Mix rice with minced meat, spices and salt. Place cabbage leaf, shiny side down, on a work surface. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces (depending on size of leaf).
- Place crosswise about a tbls of stuffing (depending on the size of leaf), and fold ends. Roll firmly and repeat procedure with remaining leaves.
- Place 1/2 cup of butter in a pot. Pack leaf rolls close together in layers. Invert a heavy plate on top to keep rolls in shape during cooking.
- Add to pot lemon juice, Seville orange juice, 3 cups of water, pomegranate juice, garlic, dry mint, and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil on moderate heat. Cover pot. Cook on low heat for 2 hours or until tender (add water if evaporated).
- Serve hot accompanied by radishes.
Save and share Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.