Wednesday, December 1, 2010
The Middle Eastern Food Kitchen (The home of delicious Middle Eastern Food Recipes) invites you to try Middle eastern fig pastries Recipe. Enjoy tasty Middle Eastern food and learn how to make Middle eastern fig pastries.
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
55g (1/3 cup) pistachio kernels
60g (3 tbs) butter
80ml (1/3 cup) honey
7 sheets filo pastry
250ml (1 cup) water
1/2 tsp rose water essence
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
12 fresh figs, thickly sliced
260g (1 cup) Greek-style natural yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Spread pistachios over 1 lined tray and cook in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Roughly chop. Place butter and 60ml (1/4 cup) of honey in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until butter melts and mixture is well combined.
2. Place the pastry on a clean work surface and cover with a damp tea towel. Brush 1 sheet of pastry liberally with the butter mixture. Top with another sheet of pastry and brush with butter mixture. Continue layering with the remaining pastry sheets and the butter mixture.
3. Cut the pastry into twelve 6 x 12cm rectangles. Place the rectangles on the lined trays and bake in preheated oven for 6 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
4. Meanwhile, place water, rose water essence, sugar and remaining honey in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Place fig slices in a heatproof bowl and pour over syrup. Place in the fridge until cool.
5. Place 1 pastry rectangle on each plate. Spread each with 1 1/2 tbs of yoghurt. Top each with about 4 fig slices. Repeat layering with rectangles, yoghurt and figs, finishing with a pastry rectangle. Spoon about 2 tbs of syrup over each stack. Sprinkle with pistachios and serve immediately.
Good Taste - March 2002, Page 76
Recipe by Rodney Dunn
More Middle Eastern Bakery & Pastry Recipes
Middle Eastern spiced lamb pizza
Turkish Pide Bread
Spinach Pie Triangles
Pita Bread Recipe
Middle Eastern pastries
Save and share Middle eastern fig pastries
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.