Easy Pita Bread Recipe includes flour and sugar and yeast. Learn how to make flat pita bread at home and use it for sandwiches such as falafel, hummus, shawarma and dipping. Enjoy preparing Middle eastern Pita Bread.
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Ingredients - Makes about 10 to 12 pita breads
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (about 110 to 115°)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put yeast in 1/4 cup of the water; add sugar and let stand for 10 minutes. Sift 2 1/2 cups of flour and the salt into a warm bowl. Form a well in the center; pour in yeast mixture and remaining warm water. Begin to mix with hand, wooden spoon, or dough hook, adding remaining flour as needed. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes, until smooth and no longer sticky.
- Oil a large bowl; place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place free of drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Dough should be doubled in bulk. Knead for a few minutes then divide into balls about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll balls into circles on a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, or flatten into circles with hand. The circles should be about 1/4-inch thick and about 7 inches in diameter. Sandwich the circles between floured cloths and let rise for about 20 minutes in a warm place. Preheat oven to 475°. Sprinkle cookie sheets with flour or oil. Place loaves on baking sheets and bake 5 to 10 minutes. If baking sheets are oiled, turn pita loaves to brown both sides. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Falafel Pita Sandwich
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.