How to make the famous Moroccan Fish Bastila, a savory thin flaky pie stuffed with fish and vermicelli. Your friends and family will be asking for more!
Ingredients of the Filling:
1/2 pound of squid
1/2 pound of white fish (tilapia, cat fish, etc.)
1/2 pound of peeled shrimp
1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
4 oz of chinese vermicelli
1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic
A large pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
Red chili pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
Ingredients for the wrap:
Spring roll pastry
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons of butter
How to make Moroccan Fish Bastila (Pastilla)
Steps to prepare the filling:
1- Cut the squid and white fish into small pieces.
2- Boil the squid pieces in water for 15 minutes before adding the white fish and shrimp to boil for another 10 minutes.
3- Remove the squid, fish, and shrimp from the water and reserve.
4- Put the chinese vermicelli to boil in the same water where the fish was boiled. Remove the vermicelli from the water after 5 minutes, drain it from excess water, and reserve.
5- On medium heat, melt the butter in a cooking pan. Add the fish, spices, parsley, and lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and let them cook for the next 15 minutes while constantly stirring.
6- Add the chinese vermicelli to the fish mixture and mix well. Cut the vermicelli into smaller pieces with your spoon.
- Place the spring roll pastries around you baking dish with 1/3 of the pastries hanging from the edges of the dish (see video). Place 1 or 2 spring roll pastries in the center of the baking dish.
- Brush the pastries with melted butter and brush the edges with egg yolk.
- Place the filling in the center of the baking dish and bring the pastry edges to the center.
- Cover the top of the Bastila with 2 spring roll pastries and tuck in their edges. Brush with melted butter and egg yolk.
- Bake the Bastila for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Broil the Bastila for 1 minute before serving and decorate with shrimp, parsley leaves, and lemon slices. Enjoy!
Moroccan lamb salad - Moroccan chickpea soup - Moroccan Roast Chicken with Vegetables
Save and share Moroccan Fish Bastila (Pastilla) Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.