Enjoy a middle eastern falafel sandwich recipe : Broad bean falafels with lemony tahini-yoghurt sauce.
Ingredients - Makes 12
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight or
2 cups fresh broad beans, removed from the pod
1/3 cup onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/3 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/3 cup coriander, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin pinch of hot chilli flakes
1 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp water safflower oil (for frying)
Tahini lemon yoghurt sauce
Makes 1 1/2 cups
3/4 cup tahini
3/4 cup yoghurt
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
Author: Tony Chiodo Photo: Eddie Jim Source: The Age Tuesday January 15, 2002 Middle Eastern, 45 mins plus, Contemporary, Healthy, Vegetarian, Kid-friendly, Dairy free, Egg free, Snacks
- If using dried soaked chickpeas, drain and place raw into the food processor. If using the fresh broad beans simply boil for 10 minutes, drain and throw into the food processor.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin, chilli and salt. Puree, making sure to scrape down the side of the bowl.
- Add the water and pulse until the mixture is gritty but fine and green. Scrape the paste into a bowl.
- In a small heavy pot or wok heat 6cm of oil to 180C. Scoop the mixture into the palm of your hand and fashion into little flying saucers. Spoon into the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes in small batches until crisp and brown, then drain on paper towels.
- Or try baking the falafel in a hot oven, making sure to baste them once with oil.
- Combine all the ingredients and whisk well to create a smooth consistency.
- The more you whisk it the thicker it becomes. Thin with more lemon juice or yoghurt.
- To assemble, choose your bread and layer with crisp lettuce, pickles, tomato slices, fresh cucumbers, falafel and oozing sauce.
Save and share Broad bean falafels with lemony tahini-yoghurt sauce
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.