Delicious Egyptian falafel (Taamia). Peeled, split fava beans for this Egyptian falafel recipe are available in most Italian or Middle Eastern grocery stores.
- 1 pound peeled, split, dried fava beans
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch scallions (green tops only), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil
- Soak fava beans in water to cover generously overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans and place in a food processor with garlic clove and purée until ground. Add parsley; the green tops of the scallions; the ground cumin; the baking powder; the salt; and the fresh cilantro. Pulse and process until thoroughly ground and the mixture comes together. Turn out into a bowl, with your hands, and form into 2-inch balls. Flatten each ball slightly and roll in toasted sesame seeds. Place on a pan, cover, and refrigerate until you are ready to fry.
- Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a saucepan to 365 degrees. Drop a few ta'miyya into the oil and fry until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towls and serve with tehina as an appetizer. Or stuff them with chopped lettuce and tehina into pita for lunch.
Best Falafel Recipe
Falafel Pita Sandwich
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.