Great recipe for Falafel Pitas with Goat Cheese Sauce. Learn how to make the best Falafel Pitas with Goat Cheese Sauce.
These baked chickpea patties are much leaner than traditional falafel. Using soaked (but not cooked) dried chickpeas creates a hearty flavor and texture for the falafel that you won't get with canned beans. A small amount of goat cheese goes far in the yogurt sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (6-inch) whole wheat pita, torn into large pieces
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 large egg whites
2 cups chopped seeded plum tomato
1 cup chopped seeded English cucumber
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 serrano chile, minced
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft (log-style) goat cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 small garlic clove, minced
4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, halved
- To prepare falafel, sort and wash chickpeas, and place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine chickpeas and next 11 ingredients (through 2 chopped garlic cloves) in a food processor; pulse 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Spoon mixture into a bowl. Add egg whites to chickpea mixture, and stir well. Let stand 15 minutes. Divide mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To prepare relish, combine tomato and next 5 ingredients (through chile).
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt, goat cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Place 2 falafel patties in each pita half; spoon about 1/3 cup relish and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce into each pita half. Serve immediately.
Calories: 450 (17% from fat)
Fat: 8.7g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 2.1g)
Graham Kerr, Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005
Falafel-Stuffed Pitas - Falafel Pita - Black-eyed Pea Falafel With Sun-dried Tomato Hummus
Save and share Falafel Pitas with Goat Cheese Sauce Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.