Learn how to make the best hummus dipping dish. Easy and delicious recipe for middle eastern hummus. This recipe consists of chickpeas, tahini paste, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika and parsley. This flavorful chickpea (garbanzo bean) and sesame party dip recipe is a nice departure from cream cheese and sour cream based recipes. It's yummy...Enjoy!
Hummus is the Arab word for chickpea, more commonly known in the United States by its Spanish name, ‘garbanzo’ bean. But ‘Hummus’ has become synonymous with the dip, not just the one ingredient.
2 cups canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), liquid reserved
2/3 cup tahini paste*
5 tablespoons olive oil , divided
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- *You can make your own tahini paste in a food processor or blender by grinding toasted sesame seeds. Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, tahini, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and garlic until smooth, adding a little of the reserved liquid if the mixture seems too thick; it will be slightly grainy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl or plate.
- Combine the paprika and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, drizzle the mixture over the top, and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve with pita bread triangles. Makes about 3 cups.
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.