Easy recipe for Baklava. Learn how to make the best homemade Middle Eastern baklava desserts. Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup. Become the master chef for this recipe.
Makes about 20 slices
- 4 x 150g pkt walnuts, chopped
- 2 1/3 cups (300g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 20 sheets filo
- 80g butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20cm x 30cm slab pan with oil. Combine 4 x 150g pkt walnuts, chopped, 1/3 cup (80g) caster sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Use 20 sheets filo and 80g butter, melted. Make 4 stacks, layer 5 sheets per stack, brushing layers with butter. Put a stack in pan. Top with one-third of walnut mixture. Repeat layers, finishing with filo. Cut into four. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir 2 cups (220g) caster sugar, 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 tbs lemon juice over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, add 1/4 cup (60ml) honey. Remove sticks. Pour over hot slice and cool.
Fresh Living - 2 August 2004, Page 55
Recipe by Michelle Southan
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.