Prep & Cook time: 2 hours
Ingredients - Falafel Recipe
- 2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 cup dried fava beans
- 1 cup cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 very large onion
- 1/2 tsp blk pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbs baking soda added 15 minutes before frying
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Soak the garbanzo beans and fava beans in water over night before the day of cooking.
- Chop and blend the garbanzo beans and fava beans in a food processor until the beans are the consistency of fine bread crumbs. Put in a large bowl. Next put the onion, garlic, cilantro and parsley in the blender and blend until it is a paste consistency, add to bean mixture. To the bowl add the cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, bread crumbs and cayenne pepper and mix very well. Taste to see if you would like to add more salt or not.
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a 2 to 3 inch frying pan, turn to medium-low heat. Add the baking soda to the bean mixture and mix well.
- Mold the falafel mixture into small balls and drop into oil to fry, continually turn over the falafel balls to keep the color an even brown on all sides, when they are a medium brown color, remove the balls and drain on a paper towel for a minute. Serve warm and fresh with tahini sauce and vegetables.
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.